Sunday, December 8, 2013

DIY Avocado Deep Conditioner


Today's DIY is one of my all time favorites. The famous Avocado Deep Conditioner. Before I did my second big chop, I lived for this deep conditioner treatment. It always left my hair feeling soft and conditioned. In the past, I always used olive oil in my avocado deep conditioner, but because I pre-pooed my hair with castor and coconut oil over night I decided to leave the oil out. The steps and ingredients are fairly simple. I tend to use this treatment when I run out of conditioner and don't feel like spending $10 to buy another jar lol !




Benefits of Avocado for Hair

  • Prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth
  • Has natural humectant properties which add and lock in moisture (great for winter months)
  • Contains nutrients such as vitamins A, B, D, E, protein, amino acids, iron, copper, magnesium, and folic acid
  • Adds shine

Ingredients/Equipment

  • Avocados (soft and ripe) (I normally use two, but used three because I only used a little conditioner and no oil)
  • Hair conditioner (I used Tresemme Naturals - Aloe Vera and Avocado Conditioner)
  • Container/Bowl
  • Knife to peel avocados
  • Blender/food processor 
Steps
  1. Peel the avocados. You can either split them in half and peel them or peel them like your peeling an orange.
  2. Cut avocado's into chunks and add into the blender. Add your conditioner as well as any oils you may want to add.
  3. Blend until it becomes a smooth consistency. Preferably yogurt -like. Not too thick and not too watery.
  4. Next add the mixture onto your strands as you would a relaxer. Working from your roots to your ends. 
  5. Cover hair with shower cap, followed by towel. This helps generate help during your conditioning process. (Alternative:- Cover with shower cap and sit under hooded dryer for 30 minutes). 
  6. Rinse off as soon as you feel like it ! Since I'm not applying heat to my head, I'll probably rinse off in about an hour. 
  7. Have any extra? Feel free to use the rest as a face mask ! Avocado's are great for the skin too ! 

How did the avocado treatment work for you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment